John is our Chairman of the Board. He has a general tax practice, working with individuals, corporations, trusts & estates, retirement plans and tax-exempt organizations.
John is originally from Tennessee. In 1984, he received a Bachelor of Business Administration from Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee. During the time he attended Belmont, John met and married Mary Rowell, who was a native of Salem. After receiving his accounting degree, John wanted to go to law school. Mary wanted to go back home. Willamette University was the solution.
He began working at Grove, Mueller & Swank as an intern in 1986, after his second year of law school. John received his law degree from Willamette University College of Law in 1987. He took and passed the bar exam, the CPA exam and became a dad all within 10 weeks during the summer of 1987.
He is a member of the American Institute of CPA's, Oregon Society of CPA's, and the Oregon State Bar. He is active with the Oregon Department of Revenue /OSB Tax/ OSCPA Liaison Committee and the OSCPA’s Estate Planning Committee. He is currently the Vice-Chair of the board of directors for the Oregon Society of CPAs. He is a past president of the Willamette Valley Estate Planning Council.
John is currently a member on the Governor’s Council of Revenue Forecast Advisors, which assists Oregon's State Economist in developing tax revenue projections. He has also been an adjunct professor at Willamette University, teaching a tax class in the MBA program at the Atkinson Graduate School of Management (1991 to 2003).
He believes in giving back to the community. He currently serves as:
- Treasurer and is a founding board member of Salem Police Foundation.
- Treasurer of Union Gospel Mission Support Corporation – entity that constructed new men’s shelter
- Board of Northwest Health Enterprises – entity that constructed medical care clinic in West Salem for low-income individuals
He has previously served as:
- President of Leave A Legacy of the Mid Willamette Valley
- President of the Oregon Symphony Association in Salem
- President of Friends of Marion/Polk County CASA (assistance to children who are victims of abuse and neglect)
- Treasurer of Oregon Technical Assistance Corporation for 26 years (assistance to agencies serving developmentally disabled individuals)
- President of United Methodist Retirement Center – Willson House and Jason Lee Manor
John and Mary have been married over 40 years and have two children. They love to travel and to cheer for the OSU Beavers and Portland Trailblazers. John’s most favorite pastime is rocking on the porch of his log cabin in the Appalachian area of Tennessee!